Trends come and go. And what may have looked great only a few years ago may no longer be in style or may not hold much appeal for you anymore. If you are considering a kitchen renovation, changing your cabinets is a simple way to make a striking visual change. At the same time, you may increase the amount of available storage space, thus making your living environment more functional.
To help with your planning, here are some kitchen cabinet trends to inspire your next kitchen redesign.
Use of Colour
Changing the colour of your cabinets is a simple, yet very effective means of updating your kitchen. This year is seeing a shift toward darker colours. The use of black and rich, deep brown can turn a kitchen from a cool, neutral environment into one that feels warm and cozy. The kitchen is typically referred to as the heart of the home, so it makes sense that it should have an inviting appearance that makes friends and family feel welcome.
That isn’t to say that light-coloured cabinets are completely out of style. In fact, classic white cabinets remain popular, especially for those who seek a light, airy feeling in their kitchen. And if you are having trouble deciding between the two, know that two-tone cabinets are showing up in kitchens along with colour blocking, which might feature dark colours on low cabinets and lighter colours on higher ones. You might even choose to use two shades of one colour on different sides of the room.
Want a more striking focal point for your kitchen? Use a stand-out colour on your kitchen island.
This is one option that you may want to consider. Open shelves have been trending recently. If you decide to add open shelves, you may want to play it safe by incorporating glass doors or some closed cabinets.
Over the years, kitchens have seen the addition of various new appliances and even smart devices. Storage needs have changed to adapt to these additions, as well to as a renewed interest in at-home cooking. Many homeowners are now finding that they want more storage space.
More than just additional storage, however, modern cabinets can be built to include options like drawer dividers, pullouts, and even outlets that can be used to charge phones and other devices, making them much more contemporary.
For those who truly want to maximize their storage space in a way that is both aesthetically pleasing and highly useful, cabinets may be built right to the ceiling. This eliminates the unused tops of cabinets that do little more than gather dust.
If you have the opportunity to install completely new, custom units, there are several styles that you can choose from to give your kitchen the personalized look that suits you best. Some styles to consider include:
- Shaker Style Cabinets. These are a simple, clean style that is a safe bet for long-lasting appeal. Cabinet doors are either square or rectangular and they are versatile enough to match almost any look so that it is difficult to make a design mistake. Shaker style cabinets have been around a long time, and it most likely that they are not going anywhere soon.
- Handle-less Cabinets. These can be a great choice for you if you are going for a clean, simple, minimalist look. Cabinets without handles will typically have push latches to open them, or a recessed portion along the top of the doors and drawers.
- Natural Wood. Like shaker cabinets, natural wood has always enjoyed a certain level of popularity, but that only seems to be growing in recent years as many seek to incorporate eco-friendly materials. Natural wood creates a warm ambience in the kitchen, making it a cozy spot for family gatherings.
- European Style Cabinets. Also known as frameless cabinets, European style cabinets provide a sophisticated and clean look that would be welcome in any kitchen. The doors feature an edge-to-edge style that conceals the framing behind, creating a smooth, seamless appearance. This style can be combined with others, working well with flat panel and shaker styles.
- Cabinet Hardware. Although occasionally overlooked, cabinet hardware can add to your cabinet’s visual impact and can be a great way to tie different design elements together. The current trend is toward two-tone knobs and pulls. The colour, finish, and texture of the hardware should all be taken into account when making a choice, though there are no real rules beyond the 33% rule, which states that the width of the hardware should not exceed 33% of the cabinet’s width.
- Customized Cabinets. Perhaps you are seeing something that you like in just about every recommendation. That’s where customized cabinets come in. Customization allows you to put together the perfect kitchen for your needs and your desires. By mixing and matching concepts and ideas, you can have a truly unique kitchen. Customized kitchen cabinets are not as expensive as you might think, and they allow you to create the kitchen that you have always wanted.
With so many options to choose from, there is bound to be a style that is just right for you, and if not, then creating custom kitchen cabinets will ensure that you are not disappointed. Whether you are looking for something simple and elegant, something sleek and modern, or a mix of styles that is uniquely your own, your kitchen cabinets can help get you there.
For more information about cabinet trends and the options available to you, contact us today. We’ll be happy to answer all of your questions.